What is Managed Land Settlement?
Incremental settlement needs to be understood as a process that continues into the future. It is not a once off event.
Incremental settlement involves both:
- Informal settlement upgrading (UIS): Where people are given permission to stay where they are and basic development products are provided as a first step to upgrading and improvement.
- Managed Land Settlement (MLS): Where basic development products (explained in more detail below) are provided to a green field portion of land and households are allowed to settle on this land as a first step towards future upgrading and improvement.
This website emphasises MLS. For more information on UIS visit the National Upgrading Support Programme (NUSP)
- Stage 1: Bulk preparation - where government and communities identify, obtain and get land ready on which incremental settlement can occur.
- Stage 2: Basic product - where government, and/ or communities provide a basic level of service and tenure security so households can start to build houses for themselves.
- Stage 3: Aided self development - where households start to build their own houses using their own resources
- Stage 4: Upgrading - where government and others help households to upgrade their tenure security, level of services and house.
- Stage 5: Maintenance and improvement - where houshoilds, communiites and government continues to maintain and improve te houses and neighbourhoods.