Phase 5: Maintenance and Improvement
- Phase 1: Bulk Preparation
- Phase 2: Basic Product
- Phase 3: Aided Self Development
- Phase 4: Upgrading
- Phase 5: Maintenance and Improvement
- MLS story
Continue with aided self development
Households live in houses and maintain and upgrade them
Houses and gardens are continually maintained and improved and community structures are continually improving their capacity to address community needs.
Appropriate role-players continue to provide support to households to improve houses, gardens and jobs and these role players continue to provide support to community structures in addressing their community needs.
- What improvements and maintenance will households make?
- What support will government continue to provide?
- How will this support be funded?
- What improvements and maintenance will communities make?
Visit Housing for more information and discussion on this topic.
Continue with government services
Government maintenance and improvement continues
Government managed services and facilities are continually maintained and improved.
The municipality continues to maintain and improve the public spaces, facilities and services and other government entities continue to maintain and improve other government managed services and facilities (e.g. post offices, resource centres etc.).
- What services and facilities will be maintained and expanded?
- Who will be responsible for this maintenance and expansion?
- What role will communities play in this process?
- Where will the money come from?
Visit Neighbourhood Development for more information and discussion on this topic.
Diagnosis and planning
All future interventions are made after careful reflection
All future interventions are made after careful reflection of the success of previous interventions.
Households, community and government use the diagnosis and planning cycle to determine what further interventions are required at each stage of the process.
- What issue/ elements will be diagnosed by whom?
- What criteria will be used to evaluate the issue/ element?
- What measures will be put in place to improve the situation?
Visit Land and Planning for more information and discussion on this topic.
Affordability and sustainability
Households afford to live in houses and government can sustain neighbourhood.
Households and users of facilities and services are able to afford the on-going costs associated with living in the area and the government is able to continually maintain and service the community and is able to provide additional support to the growth of the communities.
Government collects fees and charges, and/or arranges cross subsidies to pay for the products and services it provides, it also provides discounts to households that cannot afford the products and services that it provides.
- What fees will government charge?
- What subsidies and discounts will be provided by government?
Visit Financing for more information and discussion on this topic.
Replication and expansion
Community organises to address other needs
All the role-players are able to replicate the process using available financial and human resources, and the products provided by role-players are provided at an increasing pace that eats into the backlog and future demand.The experience gained by role-players is used to help address other needs of the community.
Government, communities and private sector initiate and manage further MLS projects and government creates an enabling environment for further MLS.
- What changes to legislation etc. are needed to support replication and expansion?
- How can the MLS process be promoted with government and communities?
Visit Organising for more information and discussion on this topic.
Join the MLS conversation: Comments page